Even though Vivian is with me the majority of the time, I see so much of Kirk within her. Some of her strongest personality traits come from her father.
Here are ten ways in which Viv is just like her daddy:
1. Both Viv and Kirk are one step away from resembling the obsessive compulsive character Mr. Monk. The way the two of them line up objects around the house, color-coordinate various items and want to brush their teeth/wash their hands non-stop just baffles me.
Here is an actual photo I took after Viv lined up her alphabet puzzle letters a few days ago. She single-handedly aligned them by their colors. Strange to me but I hear it's quite normal for her age.
(Vivian sorts her puzzle pieces by color - a logical, math skill she inherited from her father).
2. Both daddy and daughter make silly faces. I find that both even raise their eyebrows in the same way. Viv and Kirk can both scour and pout the same way too. Of course they can also light up the room with their smiles and laughter as well.
3. They give me random hugs. The only difference is that Kirk's arms linger down to my breasts while Vivian's stay behind my shoulder. Still, it's the best feeling in the world, from both of them.
4. They both like to color and draw. Kirk taught Vivian how to draw circles and she'd rather do that now than color inside the lines.
5. They both love cheese. Every day Viv will ask me for a piece of cheese and each evening when Kirk comes home from work, he reaches in the fridge for cheese to go along with crackers.
6. They are both very selective in who they befriend (not liking just anyone or people in general). But once they like you, they simply adore you and become your biggest fan. Kirk and Viv are devoted to their friends and family members.
7. Viv and Kirk are both cautious and calculated individuals. They take their time and weigh their options before making a decision -- whether it's going down a playground slide or taking a step toward the future.
8. They both like being in the driver's seat. They are leaders, not followers. Neither of them follow the crowd nor adhere to popular beliefs. Instead father and daughter are paving their own ways, not waiting to see what others are doing.
9. They are both comfortable being on all fours and are quite good at pretending to be animals. I love watching them crawl around the house like cats or dogs on any given day (like in the below photo).
(Father and daughter on the prawl.....)
10. There are no two other people that show me continual love and appreciation. I can't imagine being loved better by anyone else and in turn, who I love right back.
(Beautiful daughter, handsome father - the loves of my life!)
Kirk, if you ever feel as if you are losing sight of yourself later in life, you won't have to look very far to find a mini version of yourself right there in our beautiful daughter named Vivian. :-)
My only hope is that Viv and Kirk will be as close as I am with my own father ("Buddy"). I can talk to my dad about most anything. I know he is one of my biggest fans for anything I hope to achieve. The more I watch Viv and Kirk together, the more I believe they will be the best of friends later in life, just as they are now.
Happy Father's Day to you Kirk and to my own dad "Buddy"! I'm lucky to have these great role models in my life and Vivian is lucky to have you both as her male confidants.